When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. Absinthe was served in the traditional way in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. It is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and one can easily learn it.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. The Absinthe should contain thujone.
– There is necessity of an Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. A person can visit AbsintheKit.com to buy replicas of antiques.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon or a cuillere is used.
– Use a cube of sugar.
– Take iced water in an Absinthe fountain or in a carafe.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– A cube of sugar is needed to be placed the resting Absinthe spoon.
– Both tap of the fountain or carafe can be used to slowly drip iced water over the sugar. The sugar dissolves by it’s slow dripping and drip from the opening of the spoon. One must see a lovely “louche” effect after mixing the water into the alcohol. The essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol but not in water which causes Absinthe to louche.
– One can enjoy the Green Fairy or the Absinthe.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. Various Absinthe followers detested the Bohemian method.
You will need:-
– Importance of an Absinthe glass
– Importance of an Absinthe slotted spoon
– Use a cube of sugar
– A lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– One has to place sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– It is necessary to alight the sugar cube for one minute for it’s caramelization and melting. It is necessary to drop the sugar through the spoon into the Absinthe.
– A person is able to put out any flames and cause the Absinthe to louche by putting the spoon and pouring the iced water into it.
– These are the tips to enjoy Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway is famous about mixing it with champagne and called it “Death in the Afternoon”.
There are many mysteries, stories and legends surrounding Absinthe how to prepare it, its history, the ban and the revival. Now it is ready to give the enjoyment to the drinker.